Meet the Maker - Julia Davey

Saturday, December 01, 2012


Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
I am Julia and I run Julia Davey Ceramics from my small, converted garage studio by the canal in Bath with my packaging Queen mother who helps with all things bubble wrap and Sellotape related. I make small batches of illustrated tableware, jewellery and printed stationary based on small events, places I have visited or things that I love. For example, my robot design was inspired by tin 1950's wind up robots. Each piece is decorated by hand individually by me so that two are never quite the same!

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
The diverse mixture of artists that have been selected, it is a pick and mix of styles and products that would not be put together in a typical craft shop or gallery. 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline?
Bizarrely I think the thing I love the most is the search for perfection. I am a real perfectionist and so I find it a real challenge working in ceramics, particularly making tableware. People are used to factory standard tableware so trying to improve my decorating and making techniques to create something people accept into their kitchen is fun! And accepting the odd thumb print, faint casting line or mini scratch out of place in the paint means that I am showing their hand made background.



Describe your studio or workspace?
It is a converted garage in the shared studio building of Bath Artists Studios, 10 minutes by foot from the centre of Bath. There are over 60 of us in units, mine just happens to be in a row of garages at the back of the building. It is great for easy access with the original garage door to open and load boxes into the car for fairs and packing. There are two kilns, both electric and multi purpose... They often act as radiators! I bought the second kiln last year when I gained a big client, it means I can always have one on the go! And a most importantly a sink, it is a messy profession and I always need tea to keep calm. I put in a clear plastic roof when I moved in and this let's in plenty of natural light. I also recently inherited a fab architects shelving unit from a school which I am itching to convert and use for storing wrapping paper after the rush of Christmas. Finally, I have a giant mood board of pictures, sketches and photos on the longest wall to constantly refer to. 

Are you involved in any Christmas Markets, if so what?
I am a great fan of the Artisan market in Frome which I will be attending in my winter warmers and also the new Bath Artisan market which has only just launched and will be at Green Park Station every second Sunday of the month. All of the rest of my events are indoors based... 




What is your favourite part of Christmas?
I love walking my dog who is part whippet on Christmas day with my family. Last year we were seriously lucky as there was snow! So was she... We had bought her a coat for Christmas.

If you could choose a fellow Paper Scissors Stone artist to collaborate with who would it be and why? 
I love fellow ceramicist Alice Shields' work as it has such a sense of humour, I have gathered a collection of her badges and think it would be really fun to work on some quirky tableware.

If you could choose one Christmas gift for yourself from Paper Scissors Stone, what would it be?
I think I would want a big print, or perhaps a few that remind me of Bristol.  Are moving into a barn conversion in the new year and the living room will need something modern and bold. That or a new iPhone cover/cosy... Being a potter is very messy and mine is constantly covered in dust!




Which is your favourite local independent shop or eatery in Bristol & why?
I really like bar no. 51 in stokes croft. Most of my mates live in this area and it is run by a great family! Check out the live music and pub quiz too

What are your plans for 2013?
To keep developing the ranges I have and add a few more. I am also excited to start putting the imagery on textiles and expand the gift wrap designs. I am attending Spring Fair international in February and so hopefully this will give me some fun opportunities. 

What is your favourite Christmas song?
The coca cola advert! I know it is not technically a song but I am always so excited when I first hear it!

Finally if you were a Christmas cracker, what inside treat would you be and why?
I think I would be the measuring tape, it is quite useful and reliable much like me.

Thank you Julia!  We love your ceramics.

Paper Scissors Stone Volume 5 will run until end of December, see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment