Meet the Maker, Made in Britain - Louise Wilson

Friday, April 05, 2013

Today's Meet the Maker post is all about wire.  Louise Wilson creates the most intricate and unique wire sculptures.  Please read on and find out more:

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
Hello!  I am Louise Dawn Wilson and I am based in Stafford, UK. I create three dimensional wire sculptures of everyday objects. I graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University with a degree in Contemporary Crafts and have a studio at Unit Twelve in Stafford where I create my work.

Apart from creating things what else do you do?
I like to travel, walk my dog and have a good rummage through the local charity shops to find treasures!

When did you know you were an artist/maker?
I've always enjoyed making things for as long as I can remember but I think it was after university and being given the opportunity to have a studio space at Unit Twelve that I decided this is what I want to do.
What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline?
I love pushing the boundaries of wire, seeing how big or detailed I can make objects and experimenting with the wire through twisting, rolling and thread wrapping.
Where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration is everyday objects. I look at objects in day to day life and ask myself what it would look like in wire. Nine times out of ten ill give it a go!
Describe your studio or workspace?
I have a studio at Unit Twelve in Stafford which is run by Jennifer Collier. It is a gallery and a workshop space with 5 artist studios. It is a very inspiring space to work in and so much fun.

How would you describe your creative process?
I just go for it! I try to break down objects into sections and then piece them together or create a simple 3D shape and fill in the blanks.
What handmade possession do you most cherish?
I could not do without my patchwork blanket that my Great Aunt knitted for me when I went off to University. She made it so I wouldn't get cold and to keep me warm through university. I have it on my sofa at home now and its never far away. It is 6 years old and wouldn't be without it.

What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut?
I make a cup of tea and grab a biscuit and have a chat with the ladies at the studio.

Where would you like to be in ten years?
I would like to be spending more time making and less time at my bread and butter job.

Thank you Louise, we love your unique wire creations.  You too can discover Louise's talent in our Made in Britain shop.  



Made in Britain shop is OPEN:
Mon - Sat: 10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm
Quakers Friars, Cabot Circus, Bristol

No comments:

Post a Comment