Meet the Maker - Jenny MacKendrick (Stitch-Ink)

Friday, April 26, 2013
We are delighted to introduce the very lovely Jenny MacKendrick, her delightful creations are a firm favourite here at Made in Bristol... over to you Jenny...

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
Hello, I’m Jenny MacKendrick and I am the creator of stitch-ink. I have a variety of products from illustrated nursery artwork, to jewellery to toys. I have a degree from UWE in drawing and applied arts, which is why I tend to translate my drawings and ideas into a number of different media – 2D and 3D. 

Apart from creating things what else do you do? 
I love reading, period dramas and walking my dog. But I really don’t know where the time goes… 

When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
I’ve always made things so it’s hard to give my creativity a start date. I’m not sure it was ever a conscious decision, it’s just something I need to do or I go a bit peculiar!

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
I think I love the fact that I don’t have a particular discipline, I let my drawings show me what they want to be. That way I always keep myself entertained and don’t get stuck doing just one thing. Although this can make it hard to decide on what to do next as there are so many possibilities. 

Where does your inspiration come from? 
I guess it comes from the materials I work with, the world around me and my friends, I have a lot of very talented creative friends. I think my ultimate goal is to make something that other people want to take home with them because it makes them smile. I really like my work to be fun. 

Describe your studio or workspace? 
Messy! I have 2 studios,one at home where I make things, which is very chaotic with felt, socks and boxes of goodies everywhere and the other is for drawing. It’s supposed to be more calm and quiet, but it still has piles of books and pictures everywhere. I share it with some amazing illustrators who are always on hand if I need a second opinion and my dog sits under the desk and snores a lot. 
If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 
There are so many that I’d like to spy on, but not in a weird way of course! I love Julie Arkell’s work – her dolls and all the nostalgic things she creates and collects. Everything she does has so much personality and she manages to incorporate drawing, sewing, and making all into one object and it always works so well together. 
How would you describe your creative process?
I often sit down with a pen and a blank piece of paper and see what happens. I suppose I work the same way in 3D.  Perhaps if you don’t have a particular idea of what the outcome should be then you can’t do it wrong? Unless I have a clear of idea of what I’m doing, in which case I try to look at a few inspirational pictures before hand and then just get on with it. 

What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
My brother in law is an amazing furniture designer and he made me a plan chest to try and help me to tidy up! I have all of my paper in it and any drawings that I don’t want to throw away.It’s really simple and very clean. I also use it as a background when I photograph most of my products. It made me feel pretty special to have some furniture made just for me. 

What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut? 
I think it’s always better to do something than nothing, so if I’m stuck I might try something different. Or go for a walk in the woods, blow away the cobwebs and come back with fresh eyes. 

Where would you like to be in ten years? 
Gosh! 10 years is a long way away… I think I’d just like to still be doing what I’m doing, but much much better! Perhaps with a small amount of fantastic success thrown in for good measure. Can it be a bit more sunny in the future please?

Thank you Jenny!  Such colour you work in.. so happy.  You can find Jenny's work in our Paper Scissors Stone shop here in Bristol.


Paper Scissors Stone is OPEN
Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm
Quakers Friars, Cabot Circus, Bristol

No comments:

Post a Comment