Meet the Maker - Sue Gregor

Monday, May 20, 2013

 Hello!  We are delighted to introduce our latest member of the Made in Britain team - Sue Gregor.  Sue creates nature inspired acrylic jewellery.  Over to Sue to find out more about her:

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
I started working as a contemporary jeweller in 2005, while studying for my MA in Multi - disciplinary printmaking at UWE. I developed the process I mainly work with - I call it ‘fossilized plastic’ - I capture the shape and relief of leaves and flowers. It is not a Photographic process so every detail is captured. I have also trained as a silversmith and use this in my work. To make the jewellery I use a range of materials such as Silver, Ebony and Silk as well as the Acrylic. I link the natural world with the man-made by marrying acrylic with the plants I have gathered, to produce beautiful and individual pieces. It is a celebration of the organic and inorganic, industrial and natural. 

Apart from creating things what else do you do? 
When not making Jewellery you can find me in the Park trying to keep fit at a boot camp. Or walking, riding by bike or cooking lavish meals for my friends 

When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
I always have been an artist maker. I started at about 9 making paper flowers and rag dolls to sell to I have had several incarnations since then. I had a small knitting business. Then I hand painted dresses. Then I designed Jewellery which I made up in The Philippines and sold to Department stores. Then I made Hats and costumes. It was after that that I went to UWE and did my MA. I recently meet a old boy friend after many years and he told me that I was always busy making things.... So No change there!! 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline?
I have always found the beauty of the world is something to hold on to when times get tough. I hope the wearer of the piece is reminded of that. My challenge is to try and do it justice. 

Where does your inspiration come from? 
The Natural world inspires me.& Living in a city as I do, people might think I’d be hard-pressed to find inspiration for my leaf and floral jewellery - far from it. The plants and weeds which grow in the front gardens and wastelands, in hedges and along paths are a rich source of material. 

Describe your studio or work space? 
My work space is organised chaos! But it works for me!! 

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 
I would not want to peek into anyone else's studio unless I was invited as I respect the fact that people's studio's are their sanctuary and private places. I also have a fair idea of how to do a wide range of processes. But I guess if I had to choose Y Nishimura who makes unbelievable origami pieces I would like to see one being made. 

How would you describe your creative process? 
Exciting. I am constantly experimenting and evolving my way of working so I am never sure what I will make next. I think it is important to keep pushing new ideas and ways of working , sometimes the failures turn out to be the most inspiring outcomes. If you don't include the possibility of things going wrong you can't move forward and develop new work. 

What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
I don't really cherish things. People are more important to me. What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut? The best thing to do if you are in a rut is to stop working. Go and do things that you enjoy doing. Live a little and somehow inspiration comes during that process. 

Where would you like to be in ten years? 
I am not sure that I want to be anywhere else. I would want to be involved in doing magnificent work which I could be proud of. Oh and playing with my grand children! (With any of luck!! I don't have any as yet.. but I am hopeful at some point ...:-)...)

Thank you Sue.  A lovely interview!  You can find Sue's colourful jewellery in our Made in Britain shop - which is open daily.
Made in Britain
(next door to Carluccio's)
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
Mon - Sat: 10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment