Meet the Maker - Victoria Saunders (Saunders Creative)

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Today's Meet the Maker interview is from Victoria Saunders aka Saunders Creative.  You may have already seen her little ad banner down there on the right.  Victoria was the first to advertise with us and we are delighted to have her wonderful creations in our Paper Scissors Stone shop.  Here is more about her:

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
Hello, I am Victoria Saunders. After graduating from a surface design degree in 2008 and have since worked as a visual merchandiser for Laura Ashley and House of Fraser, whilst completing some freelance work with local independents. 6 months ago, with the backing of the Princes Trust enterprise programme and the Weston Enterprise agency, I moved towards setting up my own business called Saunders creative. My business draws on my skill set as a screen printer, sign writer and designer/maker.

Apart from creating things what else do you do? 
I love collecting & sourcing inspiration from vintage fairs, flea markets and charity shops. I enjoy collecting pressed glass, books & prints. These items often become the inspiration for work I’m creating or become part of the treasured displays I have at home.
When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
From very early on. My main influence was my Nan, as like all great Nan’s; she taught me and my sister to cross-stitch, knit, watercolour & more. I’ve studied a surface design degree and it was really during this time that I made a decision that I wanted to be a designer/maker. Working through from the conception of a piece of work to the end product is really important to me.

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
Surface designing has lots of applications from commercial, textiles, interiors, stationary and this diversity works to satisfy my creativity. I’m currently working with a vinyl cutter to create illustrated decals. These designs can then be adhered to any smooth surface.
Where does your inspiration come from? 
I am inspired by the notions of Victorian decoration & their fascination for all things regarding nature & science. This is reflected in my designs, adopting botanical drawings styles & diagrams. I am a keen collector of treasures and my inspiration definitely comes from all that I surround myself with, much like a Victorian house-hold there is many things to look on walls & sideboards.

Describe your studio or workspace? 
Currently I work between a shed space at my folk’s house (where I keep my equipment) and at home often on the dining table. At the moment this works for me but I guess like all makers a dedicated space would be ideal in the near future.

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 
I love the work of Catherine Bertola, she has really interesting concepts behind her creations (shown at the V&A out of the ordinary exhibition 2007-8).

How would you describe your creative process? 
I find an inspiration; I do sketches and draw a design up. Often I trace from my drawings many times to achieve smooth lines. This is then adapted on a pc for my cutter. The decals are then prepared and adhered to papers & cards to create my prints. I cherish the notion of 'by-hand' and love work that retains the imprint of handmade feel even if using modern technologies. I believe, this is how craft & the ‘handmade’ has moved on. Hand-made to me often signifies that the work is created with sensitivity towards materials and the processes employed.

What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut? 
Go out! All imagery & design is inspired by all that we see. We all see the world differently and I find inspiration can come from anywhere. For example, text in a magazine, a layout in a book, a mood set by an old photo or the pattern on a treasured object.

Where would you like to be in ten years? 
In ten years I hope I would have created a beautiful home for my family; full of interesting displays of my collections & artwork with photos all over the walls! I hope to have made a success of Saunders creative, the brand that may have a little boutique emporium somewhere one day….

Thank you Victoria.  We love your little butterflies here in the Made in Bristol office.  You can find Victoria's delicate work in our Spring Paper Scissors Stone shop.

Paper Scissors Stone
Quaker Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun: 11am - 5pm


No comments:

Post a Comment