Meet the Maker - Eva Thyghoj (Toohoi)

Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Today's Meet the Maker Interview comes from the lovely Eva Thyghoj, a talent with the sewing machine.  Find out more about her and her work...

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
My name is Eva Thyghoj and I am a Danish Independent fashion designer based in Bristol. I run my own small fashion label called Toohoi. All garments are designed and made by myself. 

Apart from creating things what else do you do?
Apart from designing and making clothes, I also teach pattern cutting, sewing, clothes up-cycling etc. at different places in Bristol including Windmill Hill City Farm, Bedminster and Tenderfoot, Brislington. I have two daughters Mia 9years and Molly 6 and a half, who also keep me very busy. 

When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
I have always wanted to design and make clothes pretty much as far back as I remember. From the age of 8-12 I would explain and sketch clothes that I wanted my mum to make for me, when I got to age 13 I started to teach myself (with a little help from my mum) as I was getting frustrated with my mum for not always getting the Fashion right. 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
One of the things I love about making clothes is that if you can’t find what you want in the shops, you just make it yourself. I have a jacket idea at the moment but have been too busy to make one so far, is the next thing I will be sewing though. 

Where does your inspiration come from? 
My inspiration comes from all around me…magazines, shops, telly, friends and people on the street. Sometimes fabrics inspire me too, I know straight away what I would like to make in it. 

Describe your studio or workspace? 
My workspace has temporary been moved to my dining room…which is not great, as I have not worked from home for 2 and a half years. My last studio space was at the College Project in Bedminster, which was part of the Art Space/ Life space project of finding use for unused building. It was great as it was much more than just a place to work and I hope to find something similar again. 

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 
If I could peek into someone else’s studio, it would be to look at how different types of artist work. Furniture makes glass blowers and painters…that would be really interesting as it’s so different from what I do. 

How would you describe your creative process? 
I design and make two collections per year. Each collection will have about 15 garments that will mix and match as outfits. I have some ideas about the Collection before I get started but it won’t really come together before I have bought the fabrics. 

What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
My handmade clothes and jewellery. It’s really nice knowing that what you are wearing is pretty unique and you are unlikely to bump into anyone wearing the same. 

What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut? 
I am not very often in a creative rut, but it happens I need one more design to complete my collection and can’t think of anything, then what works for me is leaving it be for a while and work on something else (sewing, cutting out fabric, computer etc.) and then 9 times out of 10 a creative solution will come to me with in a few days. 

Which is your favourite local independent shop or eatery in Bristol & why? 
There are not very many independent shops as great as Paper, Scissor, and Stone around. As it an ever changing space with new exciting items every few month. Saying that Bristol is not a bad place to be if you like independent shops, cafes, bars etc….there are quite a few about on Gloucester Rd, Clifton, Southville and many more places. 

Where would you like to be in ten years? 
That’s a really good question…I would probably like to have my own shop space, where there was room in the back for working and also running creative workshops and classes. Hopefully in 10 years’ time this will be easier for small businesses, at the moment it’s almost impossible to do because of business rates. This is a really shame as there are still many empty shop space on the high street.

Thank you Eva, for a really good insight into your life and work.  You can find Eva's beautiful clothes on sale in Paper Scissors Stone.
Paper Scissors Stone
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment