Meet the Maker - Tiphaine Lecrivain

Monday, June 17, 2013
Today's Meet the Maker Interview comes from the lovely Tiphaine, who makes wonderful lamps.  Over to Tiphaine for more on her craft...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
I am Tiphaine, a French girl based in Bristol for 6 years ! I am a trained photographer and have always enjoyed being crafty. I went from photography to making mosaic's to enamel painting, felt box making and then in 2008, I made my first lampshade, trying to make my Ikea one a bit more interesting. That's how it all started ! 

Apart from creating things what else do you do? 
I have a 3 years old little girl, Rosanne, who keeps me busy plenty! 
When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
I guess I have always been a bit "different", by the age of 10, I knew I wanted to be a photographer and then it never stopped evolving. 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
I love the fact that i make something pretty but yet practical and making it affordable as well is something i am proud of as lighting in general is so expensive! The great fun part is that I never make the same lampshade twice it keeps it fun! 

Where does your inspiration come from? 
I seem to choose my fabrics depending on the seasons a lot or for commissions, I just work with the personality of the place it is for or the person. 
Describe your studio or workspace? 
I have a "studio" at home full of lampshades waiting to be up-cycled, a drawer full of treasures like beads and trims and of course a few toys from my daughter or guitars from my boyfriend seems to find their way in as well! 

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be?
Pablo Picasso, no hesitation! 

How would you describe your creative process? 
It all start with the choice of the fabric and then everything follow. 

What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
My daughter's drawings.  
What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut? 
I just stop trying and give it a rest ! 

Which is your favourite local independent shop or eatery in Bristol & why? 
Poco on Stokes Croft is a lovely place for tapas and a catch up with friends around a jug or two of wine! 

Where would you like to be in ten years? 
Making lamps, always...!

Thank you Tiphanie!  Really lovely and colourful lampshades.  If you are wanting to update your home, then you can find Tiphanie's creations in our Paper Scissors Stone shop.

Paper Scissors Stone
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment