Meet the Maker - Samantha Gilraine

Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Today's Meet the Maker interview comes from the talented Samantha Gilraine, new to the Paper Scissors Stone team, her beautiful nature inspired prints look amazing in the shop...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
Hello my name is Samantha Gilraine and I’m an artist and photographer living in Victoria park, Bristol. I am originally from the Mendips and growing up in the hills really shaped the creation of my work. I studied a degree in Illustration at Southampton Institute and this allowed me to explore all the things that I enjoy.... painting, drawing and photography. Now I have my own style where I put all these medias together to create something eye catching and unique. 
Apart from creating things what else do you enjoy doing? 
I’m a real people person so apart from doing my art I also lecture in photography and work as a wedding photographer too. I enjoy spending time with friends, great food and exploring the local countryside by bike or foot. 
Where does your inspiration come from? 
Landscapes are a key inspiration, if I spend time in a beautiful and often remote place, I will then want to make a picture that recreates what it felt like to be there. Instinctively I will start either painting, drawing or creating a digital piece of art and keep experimenting until I have created what I could see in my memories and imagination. The titles of my work like ‘No place like home’ and ‘Wish that I’d worn wellies’ link back to memories from childhood. I also love anything from nature, especially trees. 
Describe your studio or workspace? 
My studio is in the dining room of our house. Inside one alcove is my favourite and biggest possession, a plan chest filled with lots of work old and new. On top I have a piece of glass where I create monoprints and paintings. Above are shelves packed with lots of my favourite books. The other alcove has shelves full of storage for pictures and greetings cards. I think sometime soon I may have to get a dedicated studio space or give up on the idea of having a normal house. 
What is a typical work day for you? 
Running two separate businesses is hard work but also keeps life interesting. Each day is different and I spend my time packing and delivering greetings cards, preparing for shows, editing photos and of course creating new work! Also if something exciting happens with the weather then I make sure that I dedicate time to go and explore with my camera and get inspired. 
What do you love most about what you do? 
It makes my day when I meet someone who admires my work. They are often genuinely excited about having my picture up on their wall and have a real emotional connection to the work. As an artist my confidence naturally fluctuates, but meeting customers and hearing their positive comments helps me keep going and encourages me to create new work. 
If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 
I have to pick two people, one photographer and one artist. I love Kurt Jackson’s diverse mixed media painting and would love to wander around his studio and watch how he works. I also absolutely love the work of Susan Derges who is a photographic artist producing gorgeous atmospheric and dream like photographs using the beauty of nature and cameraless photography. 

Which local artist/maker do you most admire? 
My husband and I love Susie Brooks art and treasure one her prints called Ahh Bristol as it represents how much we love Bristol and her unique illustration is lovely. 
Tell us your current loves: 
* Shop - Made in Clifton - such cool and beautiful things 
* Restaurant / CafĂ© - The Victoria Park pub we are so lucky to have such a great pub around the corner. 
* Blog - Made in Bristol of course 
* Magazine - probably the Ideal home magazine. 
* Designer / maker / artist - Susie Brooks 

If you were stranded in the wilds somewhere, what item would you need with you the most? 
It would have to be my husband Tom as he is very practical and would save the day no matter where we were.

Thank you Samantha, such an amazing studio space.  We love the Victoria Pub too!  You can find Sam's work for sale in our Paper Scissors Stone.


Paper Scissors Stone
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol

Opens Daily:
Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment