Meet the Maker - Anna Wiscombe

Thursday, June 05, 2014
Today's Meet the Maker interview is from the talented Anna Wiscombe.  You might remember Anna's handcrafted wooden jewellery and homewares from Made in Britain last summer.  We loved them so much we invited her back for 2014.  Here is a little interview with Anna.... 

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
Hi! My name is Anna Wiscombe and I design and make a range of contemporary, decorative wooden products. I live and work in London but grew up in the Dorset countryside so still take a lot of inspiration from nature and the environment that surrounded me when I was growing up. The majority of my products are based on birds and I create them as wall pieces, standing ornaments, chalkboards and brooches as well as a line of wooden jewellery. All my products are individually hand crafted by me so each one becomes a completely unique little character! 
Apart from creating things what else do you do? 
I love to travel and visit new places for inspiration and see the culture of other countries and their crafts! Going to markets is also another favourite of mine so I'm pretty happy when wandering around the stalls with a nice cup of coffee in hand! 

When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
I've always been really crafty and ever since I was little loved to draw and make things. I think I really knew I was a designer maker though when I finished my Fine Art degree and realised that I really just wanted to make craft pieces rather than large scale paintings! 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
I love working with wood as each piece really is unique and it's great to always have different colours and textures showing through into the pieces I create. I also love the process of making things from scratch and there's nothing more satisfying than starting the day with a flat piece of timber and by the end having a row of beautiful little birds! 

Where does your inspiration come from? 
A lot of my inspiration comes from the natural environment. I love watching birds or looking at flowers and leaves for ideas for new shapes and designs or thinking about new colour palettes for different seasons. 
Describe your studio or workspace? 
My studio is a bit of a workshop with lots of tools and equipment (and quite a lot of sawdust) but lots of lovely natural light and a nice big wood store and colourful paint store too! 

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 
I think a look at the studio of Lucienne Day in the 50's would be pretty cool - I love her use of colour and pattern. 

How would you describe your creative process? 
I find that I'm always sketching down ideas for new products but that normally it will be several months until I have the time to come back to them to start developing them properly. This is a good process for me though as I know that if I'm thinking about an idea a lot over that time that it's normally gonna be a good! 
What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
I find that I'm always sketching down ideas for new products but that normally it will be several months until I have the time to come back to them to start developing them properly. This is a good process for me though as I know that if I'm thinking about an idea a lot over that time that it's normally gonna be a good! 

What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut?
Try not to worry and remember that it happens to everyone! In a normal week I'm normally producing a lot of products anyway so when I'm not feeling especially creative I try to just keep making and save doing the new things for a more inspired time. 

Where would you like to be in ten years? 
I really hope that I'm still doing what I'm doing! Hopefully with lots of new products, some bigger retailers and some people to help me but ultimately still as a designer maker and my own boss! It's a lovely life if you can make it work!

Thank you Anna, we are delighted to have you back again this year and it is great to find out more about your inspiration behind your beautiful work. You can find Anna's beautiful pieces in our Made in Britain shop and we are hoping to receive some very exciting new pieces from her soon too....


Made in Britain
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol

Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment