Meet the Maker - Kerry Day

Friday, October 17, 2014
We are delighted to share with you today a super cool Meet the Maker interview, by the very lovely and talented Kerry Day. Kerry has been part of the Made in Bristol team for many years, her work is beautiful and varied to say the least! We love it all!  Over to Kerry to tell us more...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
My name is Kerry Day and I’m a mixed media artist. I paint in oils and acrylics: draw and print using screen printing and the reduction linocut method. My figurative works celebrate the human form, the line and shape of a limb, the curve of the back, and in particular the interplay of light and shade. 

Recently I find myself moving on from people to plants. Inspiration has come from the many cacti and plants I share my home and studio with – the strong profiles of my spiky friends and the marvellously named Elephant Ear plant. Like many artists before me, I am fascinated by the shapes and contours of leaves, and the joy of discovering new patterns within the vibrant green foliage. 

In 2011 I had just finished my MA in Printmaking (UWE) and I just needed to take a break from any art for a while. So I began knitting, starting with a few items for myself, I find it a very relaxing thing to do. This led to seeing if anyone would buy my creations and found they did and Pollyarts was born. I now create a range of textile gifts from knitted pin cushions to screen printed bags. 
When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
I guess I’ve always been creative. I remember from an early age always drawing, designing lots of outfits for my dolls as they were in a band and needed lots of clothes, so I was their fashion designer :-) Throughout school, art was the only subject that interested me the most so I guess it was natural for me to continue with it as a career. 
What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
Unlike many other creatives I work with a variety of mediums, so I never get bored. And my time is very flexible; I can work when I feel like it and not to a rigid 9 to 5 type of set up. 
Where does your inspiration come from? 
My work is very botanical at the moment. I have many plants which I find inspirational. I also like visiting the University of Bristol Botanical Gardens too, would love to have a garden like theirs. 

Describe your studio or workspace? 
I have my main studio in Hamilton House in Stokes Croft where I paint and do most of my prep work for screen prints and lino cuts. It’s a shared space, fairly small but cosy. I like to call it an organised mess. I do all my printmaking at Spike Print Studio. It’s a great space, nice and airy with great facilities. 
What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
It has to be a small figurative sculpture by Carol Peace. I absolutely love her work. I love the texture and the compositions she creates. 
Where would you like to be in ten years? 
I’m hoping to be able to still do what I love, creating on a full time basis. I do have other plans but not going to jinx them by telling :-)

Thank you Kerry!  We adore your plant prints, our two favourite things combined - Plants & Art! You can find Kerry's gorgeous work in our Made in Britain shop.

Made in Britain
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol

Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment