Meet the Maker - Charlotte Filshie

Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Charlotte Filshie's colourful jewellery had us at 'love at first sight'.  Unique and oh so colourful. Her latest range uses the most unusual of materials, so interesting in fact, that we had to find out more...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
Hi! My name is Charlotte Filshie and I design and made jewellery from some odd materials. My current jewellery focuses on wall-covering and vinyl floor tiles. I love the tactile nature and the array of colours and textures of the wall-covering. In the past I have used kitchen bench samples, leather, cork, milk bottles and magazines. 

Apart from creating things what else do you do? 
Since moving to London from Melbourne, Australia I spend a lot of time visiting markets, cooking (and subsequently eating), watching sunsets but never sunrises, travelling, and power watching Netflix. 
When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
I guess I knew I was a maker when I was studying. I don’t really have an artistic background as I favoured graphic design subjects over art at school. I have always helped out friends with wedding invitations and even did my sisters visual communication homework when I was a kid because it was always more fun than my own. 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
I love the freedom to create pieces from materials that aren’t normally associate with jewellery. 
Where does your inspiration come from? 
Anything can be inspiration, walking around and seeing graffiti or a building or even just random geometric shapes and patterns. I also use the materials to guide me. When I look at the different patterns, colours and textures of the wall-covering I see different things. Sometimes the materials remind me of things, and sometimes things remind me of the materials. 
Describe your studio or workspace? 
I work from my dining table in London overlooking a bright leafy square, shared garden and balcony. Luckily, I have very good housemates who tolerate me leaving bits of jewellery here and there so I don’t have to completely pack up my equipment every day. 

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 
How would you describe your creative process? 
Once I have an idea I get out my folder of wall-covering and flip through to choose colours and textures. I sketch on graph paper and scan the pictures to Illustrator then play around until I am happy. I use the Illustrator images as a template. Sometimes this is a quick process, other times I give up and go back weeks later. 

What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
The pieces I made while studying are very important to me. It reminds me of where I started and how far I have come. 
What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut? 
I usually work on something else until things become clear. If that doesn’t work I take a break and go for a walk or watch some TV. 
Where would you like to be in ten years? 
I would love to have my own shop selling my designs and pieces from other designers and makers.

Thank you Charlotte, for such a cool interview.  We adore your pieces, and have already put some on our Christmas wish lists!  If you too, 'need' a pair of Charlotte's ear-rings, we do!, then head on down to the Made in Britain shop.

Made in Britain
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol

Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment