Meet the Maker - Nick Fraser

Tuesday, November 04, 2014





Today we meet Nick Fraser, an inspirational British designer who creates innovative homewares. We are delighted that Nick is taking part in our Christmas Design Temporium shop this year.
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
Hello!  My name is Nick Fraser, I am a British designer producing contemporary interior products.  My designs are often playful but offer a well-considered functionality which combine character and charm. I try to use a range of materials and processes in my products, all of which are manufactured in the UK.  With a large proportion being made by hand in my studio.  In our everyday lives we naturally form memories of objects and materials, my aim is to explore and build on these connections in an unexpected way. By playing with the visual and functional attributes of the norm, a new appreciation can be created. 
What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
As a designer/maker, I work with lots of different materials and processes. This keeps my work nice and varied and allows me to be creative in lots of different ways. 

What is your favourite family Christmas tradition? 
Boxing day pub quiz back home with my family and old friends. 

What handmade item is high on your Christmas wish list? 
A Nigel Peake print would be great. 
Do you have any tips on selling over the Christmas period? 
Get lots of stock ready before hand. Is it too late to say that now? 

If you could choose a fellow artist/maker to collaborate with, who would it be and why? 
Raw Edge Studio. Every time I some of their new work I wish I had thought of it. 

Which artist do you find inspiring to follow on Facebook or Twitter? 
Ontwerpduo do lot’s of great things. 

Finally if you could design a Christmas decoration, what would it be and why? 
I've made some flat packed geometric baubles in the past, they weren't too bad.

Thank you Nick!  Your work is fantastic, perfect for the Christmas Design Temporium. The Christmas Design Temporium opens on 22nd November and runs all the way up to Christmas.  Join us for our launch party on 21st November, more details can be found on our Facebook page.


Christmas Design Temporium
The Architecture Centre
Narrow Quay
Bristol

Tues - Sun: 10am - 6pm

No comments:

Post a Comment