Meet the Maker - Claire Hartigan

Monday, December 01, 2014
Claire Hartigan loves to draw animals, producing cute prints, jewellery and other items in a variety of designs. We couldn't resist having Claire's menagerie of creatures in our Christmas Design Temporium shop this year, they are just too cute!  We recently chatted to Claire to discover more about her inspirations and work...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
My name is Claire Hartigan, I have been a freelance illustrator since graduating from Kingston University in 2009. I am inspired by nature and love to draw animals and create prints, keyrings and brooches of my work. 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
It is a huge compliment when people purchase something I have created to have in their homes or give as a gift. I love that my work can be a part of peoples lives like that. 
What handmade item is high on your Christmas wish list? 
I love handmade jewellery, and have my eye on a couple of items! I especially love delicate handmade rings, as you can often specify the exact size you’d like, which is great for me as I have quite small hands! 

Do you have any tips on selling over the Christmas period? 
I think I have learnt that you have to be organised, something that doesn’t come very naturally to me! Making sure you have enough stock and can keep up with orders, having a good supply of packing materials and labels etc. 
If you could choose a fellow artist/maker to collaborate with, who would it be and why? 
I have always loved the work of Stuart Kolakovic, it would be lovely to collaborate with him just to see his work process and how he creates such lovely images. 

Which artist do you find inspiring to follow on Facebook or Twitter? 
I really love the work of Faye Moorhouse, her work has so much fluidity and confidence and I find that really inspiring. 
Finally if you could design a Christmas decoration, what would it be and why? 
A Robin with a very full tummy!

Thank you Claire!  We adore that little fox brooch, such a cutie!  You can discover Claire's work and other design led pieces in our Christmas Design Temporium shop at The Architecture Centre on Bristol's historic harbourside.

Christmas Design Temporium
The Architecture Centre
Narrow Quay
Bristol

Tues - Sun: 10am - 6pm

No comments:

Post a Comment