Meet The Maker: Liz Vidal

Wednesday, November 07, 2018
Tableware ceramics by Liz Vidal


We've said it before but we'll happily say it again - we think our Meet the Maker interviews are the perfect opportunity to take a break from whatever you are doing in your day, and sit down with a nice cup of tea in your favourite mug and hear about the journey of some of Bristol’s finest makers. 

Today’s interviewee is perfect in that sense, as they are a maker of functional ceramics. Yes, mugs and tableware are Liz Vidal’s area of expertise. So, if you’re sitting comfortably, then we will begin…


Ceramacist at work: candleholder with some of the tools of Liz's trade
Ceramacist at work: candleholder with some of the tools of Liz's trade

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
Hi! I’m Liz and I create handmade, functional ceramics from my studio just north of Bristol. Most of my work is made on my pottery wheel and, alongside dinner-sets for homes, I produce tableware for restaurants in Bristol, London, Wales and Devon. My style is simple and organic – each piece is intended to be very tactile.

Calming colours of Liz Vidal's hand thrown cups, saucers, bowls and vase.
Calming colours of Liz Vidal's hand-thrown cups, saucers, bowls and vase.


What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline?
I love that you never stop learning with Ceramics and I hope this will continue for my whole life. As with any ancient craft there is so much history and therefore infinite techniques and styles to explore.
Made on the potter's wheel, a little beaker by Liz Vidal Ceramics.

What is currently your most popular creation?
I think mugs will always be a top-seller. I have a cupboard full of favourite mugs that I’ve collected from around the world and I choose each one depending on the type of tea, coffee, time of day etc. I love the idea that my pieces could form a part of someone else’s collection.

Breakfast in style with Liz Vidal's small and large bowls.
Breakfast in style with Liz Vidal's small and large bowls.

What are some of your biggest creative influences or inspirations?
My Dad is a joiner and I always admired his ability to transform pieces of wood into functional and beautiful items with his hands. We grew up with a workbench in our tree house and I remember constantly trapping objects in the vice and pretending to work on them.

I’ve always been inspired by Sandy Brown – a British ceramicist known for her spontaneous, passionate use of clay and colours. Her work is made with a lot of energy and confidence - attributes that I am conscious to apply to my own practice.
Oh my glaze! Liz Vidal's cup is subtle but punctuated with colour.

Describe your studio or workspace…
My studio is an old pigsty which seems as good a place as any to play with mud! I’m located at Hillside Studios, near Cribbs Causeway, with a view out towards the Severn Bridge and Wales. There are 7 other artists and lots of wildlife! I moved there in January 2018 and run various pottery workshops, both one-offs and weekly classes. It’s an incredibly calm space and I love driving out of the bustle of the city for a day’s work.

Surrounded by nature, Liz Vidal's pottery studio in North Bristol is a serene place to be creative.

Tell us what your creative process is like. How do you go about designing a new piece?
I usually start with a shape in my head, sometimes I scribble this on the table or in my notebook. Then I weigh out a few balls of clay and begin to experiment with throwing. As the process of ceramics takes 2 to 3 weeks to complete it’s a slow process and it can sometimes take a few months to get something right, especially with new glazes.

Steady as we go, in the shelf lined studio - Liz's ceramic pieces typically take 2-3 weeks to make
Steady as we go, in the shelf lined studio - Liz's ceramic pieces typically take 2-3 weeks to make

What are some of the biggest challenges in your work?
I think in ceramics it will always be pieces cracking or warping in the kiln. I have learnt not to be precious about particular items, and if something breaks I take a deep breath and start again. Patience is very, very important!

Shelfie: pots in process in Liz's studio
Shelfie: pots in process in Liz's studio

What handmade possession do you most cherish?
I have a handmade pendant – a resin disc with a tiny tiger set into it – made by British jewellery maker Helen Noakes. I’ve cherished it, above all other possessions, for a decade now and I don’t see that changing.

Part of Liz's ceramic practice includes running workshops and classes for others.

What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut?
Luckily my studio is surrounded by woods and fields so I can take myself off for a walk if I’m procrastinating too much. Otherwise I sit at my wheel and start making without anything in mind, letting my hands do the work without thinking too much.

Handcrafted detail in Liz's ceramics studio
Handcrafted detail in Liz's ceramics studio

Where would you like to be in ten years?
Still making pots and still teaching! When I lived in London I worked with various community groups and I would love to do similar projects in Bristol. I’d also love to go down the sculptural route one day and have the opportunity to make a large installation.


Thank you, Liz, for sharing your stories – we look forward to seeing you on Saturday 8 December at our Made in Bristol Gift Fair at Colston Hall.

You can also see Liz’s pieces featured in our first ever Made in Bristol Designer-Maker Gift Guide.

Photography thanks:
Products by Jo Hounsome Photography.
Studio shots courtesy of Liz Vidal.



No comments:

Post a Comment