Meet the Maker - Emma Wells

Monday, December 17, 2012

Today we have the pleasure of introducing Emma and her stunning glass work....
In addition to showcasing her talents in Paper Scissors Stone, Emma is also taking part in our Christmas Market, which kicks off today in Quakers Friars.

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
I'm Emma Wells and I design and make small works in kiln-fired glass. I am particularly inspired by the Victorians, the opulence of the era and their incredible intrigue for collecting the weird and wonderful.

What do you think makes Paper • Scissors • Stone special?
 It is so unique in a world of mass-manufactured shops and products. It gives power back to the makers who are so forgotten these days. 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline?
 It is always a challenging medium and I love the ethereal quality of glass.

Describe your studio or workspace?
It is a constantly shifting space but which always includes a workbench covered in collected bits and pieces, oodles of shelving, an area for the computer (the essential distraction from what I should be getting on with!) and a comfortable seat for tea. Oh and the largest space is always reserved for my lurcher to sprawl out in! 

Are you involved in any Christmas Markets, if so what?
Yes, I will be exhibiting at the Made in Bristol Christmas Market at Quakers Friars all week from 17th to 23rd December.

What is your favourite part of Christmas?
The great atmosphere in traditional pubs and the fact that I can spoil myself and do what I want and not feel guilty!

Which fellow Paper Scissors Stone artist would you collaborate with and why? 
This is probably a tad incestuous but, I would love to collaborate with my husband and ceramicist Adam Harvey! Even though we have shared studio space for the past 11 years we have never really found time to design work together.

If you could choose one Christmas gift for yourself from Paper Scissors Stone, what would it be?
I love the little felt brooch with the cat face but, I can't remember who it is by.



What are your plans for 2013?
To become completely mobile in my motorhome, taking my studio and work with me.

What is your favourite Christmas song?
The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to you) sung by Perry Como

Thank you Emma - a cracking read!


No comments:

Post a Comment