Meet the Maker - Janine Partington

Monday, December 17, 2012


Today we have caught up with local enamelling legend Janine Partington to talk Christmas....

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
My name is Janine Partington. I have lived in Bristol for fourteen years. Not long after moving here I started evening classes at the Bristol School of Art (part of Filton College) in vitreous enamelling. Sadly they no longer run these courses. After about four years I got my own kiln and have been enamelling full time since 2006. Enamelling is the art of fusing metal to glass. I work almost exclusively with my own hand-cut stencil designs and a sifting tec What do you think makes Paper • Scissors • Stone special? There's a great mix of local makers and it changes it's content regularly so there's always something new to find. What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? I love the design process and that the way I work makes people see enamelling in a different light


Describe your studio or workspace? My home workspace is very small and cramped and I could do with more space. However, it is in the heart of my home so I am never fully disconnected to family life - I have a husband and two children.
What is your favourite part of Christmas? Giving presents - I hate receiving
Which fellow Paper Scissors Stone artist would you collaborate with and why?

Ruth Broadway, because I love the way she draws and her jewellery is great


If you could choose one Christmas gift for yourself from Paper Scissors Stone, what would it be?
Teddy Long Legs embroidered fabric bird brooch - love the colours. Which is your favourite local independent shop or eatery in Bristol & why? I love Tobacco Factory in Southville - when I moved to Bristol just down the street from it four years ago it was still being renovated - now it's the centre of a great vibe in the area and my locality has been totally changed for the What are your plans for 2013? To spend more time with family and less time working,but I'd love to get to do some interesting projects that are different from my usual stuff What is your favourite Christmas song? Fairytale in New York. Thank you Janine - a lovely interview. Janine's striking enamel work is available to admire & buy in Paper Scissors Stone Volume 5 until the end of December. There are some perfect presents in her collection..... (hint hint!)


No comments:

Post a Comment