Gromit Unleashed - Artist Interview, Dave Bain

Wednesday, May 29, 2013


We are super excited about the forthcoming Gromit Unleashed trail run by the amazing Aardman Animations to raise funds for the Wallace & Gromit's Grand Appeal, the Bristol Children's Hospital Charity.

The trail opens on the 1st July to 8th September - over 80 5ft Gromits will be placed around the city.  Each sculpture has been individually designed and created by invited artists, creating a trail of eighty unique pieces of art and will form an art exhibition for ten weeks over the summer of 2013.

What is more, several of the invited artists are part of the Made in Bristol team!  During the run up to the big reveal, we shall highlight some of the local talent involved.  First up is our very own Dave Bain... over to you Dave.

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your work?
I'm an illustrator. I work from and also manage the Drawn in Bristol studio. My work is varied and I adapt my style to suit commissions and projects that I choose to work on. I enjoy working with colour combinations, pattern, optical illusions and anything that provides a good challenge.

Why did you want to get involved with the Gromit Unleashed project?
It's a worthy charitable cause and a great opportunity to paint on an unusual object and scale. My participation in 'WOW Gorillas' and 'Swans of Wells' has only made me want to do more painting sculptures like this and so leapt at the opportunity to apply to do so again. Growing up, watching Wallace & Gromit, was a wonderful part of my childhood and it's a bit of a dream to get to paint an oversized Gromit.

Where did inspiration for your design come from?

I can't give too much away, but let's just say that I'm treading familiar territory. You'll have to wait for the big reveal to see the whole finished article, but you should be able to get some idea from the sneaky peek photos.

Please describe how you designed your Gromit?
The process of drawing out the design 2D for a 3D object was tricky - particularly as I wanted my design to be a full body wrap - as in join up all over. I had to keep a flexibility in my drawing to be able to tweak the shapes when drawing it out free-hand onto the sculpture. Pencils, pens, tracing paper, a light-box and lots of patience was required to get the design up to scratch.

Where are/were you painting your Gromit?
In a secret location.

Has it been a challenge transferring your style of work to a 3D dog?
I've wanted to try the particular style I've plumbed for on a 3D surface, so this was a perfect opportunity. I was a good challenge, particular to get my chosen limited palette to work compositionally from the various angles that the viewer would see the structure from.

What Bristol location would your Gromit feel at home?

Hopefully anywhere, as he's very colourful and, I'm hoping, will bring a smile to those that see him.

What is your favourite Wallace & Gromit film?
'Wrong Trousers' for the train chase sequence.

We understand there are many amazing people involved in the Gromit Unleashed trail, which Gromit are you looking forward to seeing and why?
I've been privileged enough to have had a very quick sneaky peek at quite a few of the finished Gromits and can't wait to see them out and about properly. I think it's great that so many famous names have got involved - but I'm equally interested to see the designs from friends, Bristol based artists and new artists.

Can you tell us any behind the scenes Gromit secrets?
He has a secret belly button.

Thanks Dave - we are dying to see the finished dog!  It's so exciting.  For more information about the Gromit Unleashed trail and the artists involved, please hop over and visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment