Meet the Maker - Rachel Dormor

Friday, May 31, 2013

We are delighted to introduce Rachel Dormor as today's Meet the Maker Interview... over to you Rachel.
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
I'm Rachel Dormor and I make fine porcelain tableware from my lovely studio in Cambridge.

Apart from creating things what else do you do?
I teach workshops in ceramics, art and textiles and I also work as a qualification developer for art and design qualifications, using my experience of teaching and being a designer-maker.

When did you know you were an artist/maker?
My granny used to say I had busy hands and she used to buy me little rolls of material when I was little. I've always loved making clothes and jewellery but when I was 14 I went to a pottery evening class and I was hooked!
What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline?
My favourite thing is working with porcelain, it's so lovely to work with and is such an amazing material.

Where does your inspiration come from?
For inspiration I visit museums and art galleries, I draw a lot and I am interested in objects that people use everyday. I also keep up to date with trends by visiting trade fairs and reading trend forecasting blogs.
Describe your studio or workspace?
My studio is based in Cambridge and is in a builders yard, its full of old cabinets full of pots and pretty bunting. I run classes from the studio as it has one large room and a little room at the back where I have three potter's wheels.
If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be?
The painter William Scott

How would you describe your creative process?
I work in a very methodical way and it takes around ten days to make something start to finish but when I am working on a new piece I spend the researching and drawing, then trying the shapes out in porcelain by making a few batches of different shapes. When I am happy with  shape I have to learn how to make it consistently so I'll work in a larger run and make every piece to the same dimensions until I get it right.
What handmade possession do you most cherish?
My favourite things are the cards and letters that my children have made for me. 

What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut?
Sometimes I just have to get on with it and work through it and other times I will go for a walk and take lots of photos, or go for a day out to the coast to blow some cobwebs away.

Where would you like to be in ten years?
I'd like to be still making lovely things and exhibiting internationally and still feel excited and motivated about ceramics and craft.

Thank you Rachel.  Your ceramics are so beautifully tactile.  You can find Rachel's lovely work in our Made in Britain shop.


Made in Britain
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun: 11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment