Meet the Maker - Cordelia Hutchinson

Monday, August 19, 2013
Hello!  Hope you had a lovely weekend?  Let's start the week with an interview by a Made in Britain artist. Cordelia Hutchinson produces stunning still life and landscapes... here's a little more about her, her life and inspirations...

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
My name is Cordelia Hutchison. I have always loved sketching and painting and when I was studying History of Art I suddenly realised that all I wanted to be doing was the practical stuff. After the most wonderful term in Florence where I was doing lots of life drawing I realised that I had to keep it up. 

Apart from creating things what else do you enjoy doing? 
I am a bit of a fidget and have lots of energy. So when I am not painting I am usually doing Capoeira (a Brazilian dance which combines playful fighting with acrobatic movements). I absolutely love Brazilian culture and travel to Brazil every year with my family. 

Where does your inspiration come from? 
Most of my inspiration comes from places I go and people I see. I love to paint sea scapes and pictures of people going about their everyday life. What I look for is the effect of strong light on the subject. I paint my canvases a bright, cerise pink which gives a warmth and light to the final paintings. Bristol is such a wonderfully creative place to be so it is pretty easy to feel inspired. 


Describe your studio or workspace? 
I have a little studio at the back of my house but it is jam packed with canvases, frames and books so I tend to paint on my kitchen table. The room is a busy family space in the day and transformed into my workspace once the kids are in bed. 

What is a typical work day for you? 
My day usually starts with a bit of doodling on the back of an envelope and a list of all the things I need to remember, I am terribly forgetful so if this doesn't happen, nothing gets done. If its a sunny day then always get out and about on my bike and take my camera and my sketch book. I often pop into Niche to get frames and then to the fine art shop on Park Row. The evenings are spent painting and framing things up ready for exhibitions. I try not to check my emails and phone too regularly as this is the worst distraction. 


What do you love most about what you do? 
I feel like the luckiest person in the world to be able to do what I love. It is really satisfying creating things, I loved just getting totally absorbed in a painting. 

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 

Which local artist/maker do you most admire? 
I really like the work of Claire Halifax, it is so fun and quirky. 


Tell us your current loves
* Restaurant / Café: Mrs Browns- Victoria Park 
* Designer / maker / artist: Relton Marine 

If you were stranded in the wilds somewhere, what item would you need with you the most?
Dark chocolate.

Thank you Cordelia, your work is truly wonderful.  And yes I am sure even Bear Grylls would take some chocolate with him!

You can find Cordelia's delicious paintings in our Made in Britain shop, which is open daily.

Made in Britain
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol

Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment