Meet the Maker - Amanda Saunders, aka Asanda Jewellery

Wednesday, September 04, 2013
Hello!  Today's Interview in our Meet the Maker series comes from the delightful Amanda Saunders. 

Here is a little about her and her gorgeous work...

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
Hello everybody my name is Amanda. I started making jewellery earlier this year under the name ‘ASANDA Jewellery’. I studied Fashion/Textiles at Bristol UWE and graduated back in 2008. Although I love clothing/textile design, I always loved accessories that little bit more. As I had no technical experience in making jewellery I booked myself onto a range of courses at London Jewellery School and learnt basic techniques in resin casting, Perspex, silver, fused glass and catwalk jewellery. This gave me much more understanding of ways in which to create a 3D piece from a 2D design. A lot of the time I don’t draw my design I work from an idea in my head and develop it into a final piece but trial and error. I have only really just got off the starting blocks and still have lots to learn (especially when it comes to the business side of things), but I’m optimistic for the future and hoping to make my little venture into a success. 


Apart from creating things what else do you enjoy doing? 
The usual things like watching horror films in the dark; cooking Caribbean food whilst listening to hip hop, shopping for things I can’t actually afford to buy and generally procrastinating in my room! 


Where does your inspiration come from? 
Although I do keep watch of fashion trends I am a bit of a magpie when it comes to materials and I also love tacky gilded religious paraphernalia and cultural clothing. 

Describe your studio or workspace? 
My workspace is a desk situated in the corner of my bedroom alongside a window with a view. Luckily for me I have a very spacious room and I have lots of cubby holes to stash away my hoards of materials. 


What is a typical work day for you? 
I am very much a night owl when it comes to making, my creative juices don’t get flowing until late afternoon so I often work into the early hours. This fits nicely around my day job as I can pick up jewellery making in the evenings but generally I spend the majority of my weekends making pieces. 

What do you love most about what you do? 
I love getting compliments on my jewellery when wearing my jewellery out and about in Bristol, it justifies all the time & money I have put into my little business. 

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be?
Eduardo Paolozzi, he is by far my favourite artist. There is so much inspiration to draw from his work, I’d love to understand more about how he pulled together all of the elements for his prints. It’s a bit schizophrenic! 


Which local artist/maker do you most admire? 
I love the inventive illustrations of my amazingly talented friend James Ballance, who always draws me very amusing panda sketches for special birthdays! 

Tell us your current loves: 
* Shop – I love Selfridges in London: last time I was there they had a circus themed event and were handing out free popcorn and candy floss! 
* Restaurant / Café – I love spice; Las Iguanas has an amazing menu and serves the best caipirinhas! 
* Blog – My lovely friend, Sarah’s blog - Ship Shape and Bristol Fashion.
* Magazine – Vogue: every fashionistas companion 
* Book – Drawing Jewels for Fashion by Carol Woolton: it shows you don’t have to be amazing at drawing to get your design across (and I’m really not!). 
* Designer / maker / artist – The fashion designer Holly Fulton: this is probably because both love Eduardo Paolozzi and draw on the same inspiration from his work. I also love Mawi; their jewellery is blingtastic! 


If you were stranded in the wilds somewhere, what item would you need with you the most? 
I think I would go stir-crazy without music so an MP3 player would be essential!

Thank you so much Amanda!  Your work is inspiring.

If you fancy one of Amanda's unique pieces, pop along to our Paper Scissors Stone shop.

Paper Scissors Stone
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol

Mon - Sat:  10am - 6pm
Sun:  11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment