Meet the Maker - Bethan Buss

Thursday, August 21, 2014
Today we are delighted to introduce Bethan Buss aka Boodle, one of Paper Scissor Stones firm favourites. Over to you Beth... tell us everything!
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work?
Hello, I am Beth from ‘Boodle’ – screen-printing and drawing are my passions, so I combine the two! Having studied Textile Design at Nottingham Trent, I have been designing and screen-printing ever since.

Apart from creating things what else do you do?
I enjoy long walks, picnics and generally being outside (when the weather’s nice!) If not, a cozy night in with friends and a few gin and tonics does the trick. 
What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
I love carrying an idea through into product form and screen-printing is a very satisfying discipline as you can transform ideas into products fairly quickly. I still get excited when washing off the screen after exposure to discover my image 'burnt' into the screen.

Where does your inspiration come from?
I have always been a keen animal lover, using various animals as inspiration for my work. I like to make people smile with humanised interpretations of animals that people can relate to. I am a bit of a crazy cat lady at heart!
If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be?
I have recently become a bit obsessed with Jane Ormes’ screen prints. She is local to Bristol but I really like the textures and layers in her work.  I would love to see the process she uses, as I think it would be very different to mine. I also love the illustrations of Julia Pott, and would love to see how she makes her animations.

What handmade possession do you most cherish?
My sister made me a lamp out of an old toaster for Christmas a few years ago - it’s amazing! Much better than the fake fur tea cozy she made me last year!
Which is your favourite local independent shop or eatery in Bristol & why?
I love wandering around independent shops run by artists such as Fig & Blaze. I find it very inspirational how so many artists are selling their work in Bristol, and always find it exciting discovering new local talent.  There are so many great local eateries such as No.1 Harbourside and The Thali Cafe and if you’re out for a special occasion, Bell’s Diner in Montpellier is amazing. I am a big foody, so I’m still trying to make my way through all that Bristol has to offer.

When did you know you were an artist/maker?
I guess after finishing university I didn’t want to stop designing and making, so I just carried on and I attended a short business course to try and make some money from it... I’m still working on that!
How would you describe your creative process?
I usually get an idea at random moments; while walking to the post office, or cooking dinner for example. I then try and hold onto the idea and whenever I have spare time I start doodling away, sometimes it takes a few goes and some development to get exactly what I want. I then apply this to the screen-printing process, and think of a product it would work best with.
What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut?
Exercise and a good bit of fresh air helps to get your brain going, so I try and go for a run or a quick bike ride. But sometimes you just have days when you can’t draw, so you just have to resign yourself to an admin day, which can sometimes be just as valuable.

Where would you like to be in ten years?
I would like to have my own studio with printing equipment so I can potter about and experiment with ideas a bit more. I would love to do some design work for bigger companies and charities such as the RSPB or The National Trust, and being able to work on ‘Boodle’ full time with a few employees would be my dream. 

Thank you Beth for a really great interview.  You can find Bethan's wonderful work in our Paper Scissors Stone shop.
Paper Scissors Stone
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
Mon - Sat: 10am - 6pm
Sun: 11am - 5pm


No comments:

Post a Comment