Meet the Maker - Alex Lucas

Friday, November 28, 2014
If you live in Bristol, especially around the Stokes Croft area, you may have well noticed the work of Alex Lucas.  Alex is a true Bristol talent, producing large scale murals for many Bristol institutions, shop and local events.  We are super delighted that Alex will be at our Made in Bristol Gift Fair at the Colston Hall this year, where you can buy a piece of her lovely work to adorn your own walls.  We caught up with her recently to find out more her and her inspirations...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
Hi I’m Alex but I often go by the name of Lucas Antics. I have been illustrating for about 15 years. I prefer to draw animals as I feel they can be easily anthropomorphised and the viewer can relate to them more easily, often associating my illustrated characters with people they know. My most enjoyable work is painting large scale murals which can be seen across Bristol; Triodos Bank, The Bristol Bike Project and The Playing Cards on my neighbours’ seven foot gates (Picton Street) and inside The Birdcage, Bristol’s first coffee and vintage clothing boutique. I now run the Little Shop on Stokes Croft with a fellow artist friend Amber Elise. 
How do you prepare yourself & your work in the months running up to the Gift Fair? 
I have been quite organised this year by ordering my stock fairly early. I am working on designing some unusual packaging for my cushions and tea towels. I am also thinking of ways to present my stall and not leaving things to the last minute! 
Do you have any tips to someone who is just starting out, on selling at Christmas markets? 
To keep going and try lots of various Christmas markets. Also to apply early, I contact me in March for a stall! Some Christmas markets can really differ from others along with the customers. It’s important to make your customers feel welcome with big smiles. 
What special little touch do you offer your customers? 
I am terrible at gift-wrapping and think people would be quite unimpressed if they saw my attempts! I like to make my illustrations fit to a certain size the client needs and am happy to alter them if necessary. 
What handmade item is high on your Christmas wish list? 
I could really do with a new set of acrylic paints and drawing pencils- boring but necessary! 
What is your favourite part of Christmas? 
Eating loads of satsumas. 

Which UK artist/maker’s Facebook or Twitter feed do you find most inspiring and why? 
I really enjoy the artists featured on oohdeer.  Humour in art is really important to me. 
What is your favourite family Christmas tradition? 
We always go for a really long walk and usually get lost in the dark so we won’t have Christmas dinner till about 10pm and the Chicken (we don’t have turkey) is about a third of the size as it has been cooked for way too long! 

Finally, if you could re-design a Christmas decoration, what would it be and why? 
The Christmas fairy. She could really do with a make over/under.

Thank you Alex!  We love your alphabet poster, some amazing creatures on there.  You can find Alex and her beautiful work on the Entrance Level tomorrow (29th November) and on the Upper Level on the 7th December.
Made in Bristol Gift Fair
Colston Hall 
Bristol

Saturday 29th November 2014
Sunday 7th December 2014
10am - 4pm

Saturday 13th December 2014 
10am - 3pm

No comments:

Post a Comment