Meet the Maker - Clare Lloyd

Thursday, November 27, 2014
We at Made in Bristol are colour fanatics and love to find creative people who are just as loopy about colour as we are. Such as jewellery designer Clare Lloyd.  Clare creates beautiful jewellery in a rainbow of hues, we just new her pieces would be perfect for the Christmas Design Temporium this year.  We chatted recently to discover her inspirations and her Christmas traditions...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work
My name is Clare Lloyd, I live in Frome, Somerset and I design and make a range of colourful jewellery using polymer and resin clays set into sterling silver called 'Colour Designs.' I started to learn how to make silver jewellery about ten years ago and I really wanted to find a way to introduce colour into my work so I started to experiment with polymer clay. Each element of my jewellery is made by me; I keep the shapes and designs straightforward and simple and let the colour do the talking. 
What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
I am completely obsessed with colour and with polymer and resin clays I have found materials that enable me to mix the clays like paint to create a multitude of wonderful shades and tones. There's no end to the colours I can come up with and I really enjoy putting different combinations of colours together to create my designs; I love it! 

What is your favourite family Christmas tradition? 
I think my favourite family Christmas tradition is putting up the Christmas Tree and decorations. I've got a bit of thing about glass baubles and each year I will find just one lovely handmade glass bauble to add to my ever growing collection. 
What handmade item is high on your Christmas wish list? 
I'd really like a lovely, chunky, hand knitted scarf for Christmas, one of those really soft, long and snugly ones with fringes on the ends. 

Do you have any tips on selling over the Christmas period? 
I'm still pretty new to selling my jewellery so I could do with some tips myself! I think the one thing I am learning is to make sure you have plenty of stock! 
If you could choose a fellow artist/maker to collaborate with, who would it be and why? 
I really, really like the up cycled furniture made by Harper & Harper; the colours they use are fabulous and I love the vintage and mid century designs that they breath new life into. In my mind I can picture my jewellery laid out on their gorgeous coloured sideboards and tables to create a wonderful world of colour. 

Which artist do you find inspiring to follow on Facebook or Twitter? 
I'm very new to the world of Facebook and Twitter so I'm still getting to grips with them both, however, through Facebook I have discovered the work of Silk & Willow who use plant material to hand dye silk to create the most beautiful array of colours in their ribbons, scarves and fabrics. I find their posts and beautiful photographs completely inspiring. 
Finally if you could design a Christmas decoration, what would it be and why? 
Because of the bauble obsession, I'd love to have a go at designing my very own glass bauble, I don't think it would turn out very well though and would be more blob than bauble! 

Thank you Clare.  Your jewellery pieces make perfect Christmas gifts.  You can find Clare's colourful items in our Christmas Design Temporium alongside a plethora of beautiful design inspired Christmas gifts.

More details about our fab Christmas pop-up can be found on our Facebook page.


Christmas Design Temporium
The Architecture Centre
Narrow Quay
Bristol

Tues - Sun: 10am - 6pm

No comments:

Post a Comment