Meet the Maker - Juliet Foster

Wednesday, November 26, 2014
With only a month until it's Christmas!! It's time to seriously start shopping for that perfect gift.  Luckily our annual Made in Bristol Gift Fair starts this Saturday!  The foyer of the Colston Hall will be filled to the brim with local talented artists and makers.  One such person is jewellery designer Juliet Foster (aka Jules & Clem).  Juliet's pieces are glittery & geometric in shape, a perfect gift for Christmas in our eyes.  We caught up with Juliet to find out more...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
My name is Juliet and I am a jewellery designer/maker, living in Bristol with my husband Matt and daughter Lizzie. I started my jewellery label - Jules and Clem - in 2009 whilst working as a production assistant for a Children’s publishing house. The influence of Children’s books and fairy tales can clearly be seen in my early work which was full of bunnies, cats, birds and dancers. I designed jewellery to tell a story, it was great fun! I still make and sell lots of pieces from that time, but as my life has changed so have my influences. Now, as a busy mum, I am drawn to simpler forms and shapes. I make pared down minimal pieces in subtle hues which are still playful but easy to wear. 
How do you prepare yourself & your work in the months running up to the Gift Fair?
I work hard on my stand, making sure it’s up-to-date and visually appealing, and that it reinforces my brand. This year my Dad has helped me make a bespoke peg board display which I’m really excited about! Then it’s just make, make, make! 
Do you have any tips for someone just starting out on selling at Christmas? 
Price everything clearly, no one likes to ask how much things costs and it might be the difference between winning and losing a sale. 
What special little touch do you offer your customers? 
This year I will be selling customisable monogram necklaces. Stop by and have a look! 

What handmade item is high on your Christmas wish list? 
I really love the work of Bristol designer Sally Haysom (MyBearHands). 
What is your favourite part of Christmas? 
Food, presents, baileys coffee (in that order) 
Which UK artist/maker’s Twitter feed do you find most inspiring?
I’m not a huge twitter fan but love the instagram feeds of @jenniferloiselle, @cardboardcities and @ladybirdlikes. All offer an inspiring mix of life and work. 

What is your favourite family Christmas tradition? 
I don’t come from a particularly traditional family (one year we cancelled Christmas altogether!), so since having our own child my husband and I have been trying to carve out a few traditions of our own. So far we are failing miserably - last year we didn't even have a tree! Hopefully we’ll do better this year… 
Finally, if you could re-design a Christmas decoration, what would it be and why? 
I’d like to make something to replace tinsel. Maybe a garland of some sort? Still sparkly but less naff.

Thank you Juliet!  You didn't have a tree last year?  But where would you hang your sparkly garland? 

You can find Juliet on the middle level of the Colston Hall foyer on both Saturday 29th November and Sunday 7th December. 
Made in Bristol Gift Fair
Colston Hall 
Bristol

Saturday 29th November 2014
Sunday 7th December 2014
10am - 4pm

Saturday 13th December 2014 
10am - 3pm

No comments:

Post a Comment